Re: Mass bug filing: Dependency/file list predictability

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
>> If the libraries have different names then there should be
>> --with/--without switches possible for configure.
>
> (I'm also upstream for several of these packages.)
>
> I don't know of any Kerberos software, among dozens of packages, that
> works this way.  This simply isn't how multiple Kerberos implementations
> have ever been handled; they all just check for Heimdal and MIT Kerberos
> and use whichever one is found.  This has always worked in the past since
> Heimdal and MIT Kerberos dev packages conflict with each other (not only
> in Debian but everywhere else as well).  Now we're adding a new, rather
> useless GSSAPI library that uses the same library names as Heimdal but
> doesn't actually work and doesn't conflict with MIT Kerberos.

Maybe then the gssapi-dev should also conflict?

> Now, I'm willing to lead the way for Kerberos packages going forward, I
> guess, if I can figure out a good way to do that, but I don't know how
> that configure logic would even work or what those --with flags would look
> like.  The problem would be avoided if I required krb5-config be
> available, but I don't really want to do that, both because older versions
> of Kerberos don't have it and because krb5-config adds a bunch of needless
> shared library dependencies that create unnecessary interpackage
> dependencies in Debian.

In the test if libheimdal exists you first check if --with-heimdal (or
--without) was used and only otherwise do the actual test. [Or you can
test and see if it finds a lib if --with-heimdal was given and file if
not].

That is basically how all the --with/--without constructs wotk that
can also autodetect. There should be plenty of code examples all
around.

MfG
        Goswin