Re: Mass bug filing: Dependency/file list predictability

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> If the libraries have different names then there should be
> --with/--without switches possible for configure.

(I'm also upstream for several of these packages.)

I don't know of any Kerberos software, among dozens of packages, that
works this way.  This simply isn't how multiple Kerberos implementations
have ever been handled; they all just check for Heimdal and MIT Kerberos
and use whichever one is found.  This has always worked in the past since
Heimdal and MIT Kerberos dev packages conflict with each other (not only
in Debian but everywhere else as well).  Now we're adding a new, rather
useless GSSAPI library that uses the same library names as Heimdal but
doesn't actually work and doesn't conflict with MIT Kerberos.

Now, I'm willing to lead the way for Kerberos packages going forward, I
guess, if I can figure out a good way to do that, but I don't know how
that configure logic would even work or what those --with flags would look
like.  The problem would be avoided if I required krb5-config be
available, but I don't really want to do that, both because older versions
of Kerberos don't have it and because krb5-config adds a bunch of needless
shared library dependencies that create unnecessary interpackage
dependencies in Debian.