Re: Considerations for 'xmms' removal from Debian

Eduard Bloch <edi <at> gmx.de> writes:

> I see this in strace output with default configuration. Switching the
> setting between on-display and on-load makes it even worse, then it
> opens every file THREE times. Sorry, wtf?

This is a result of codec detection, and has been improved upon in
Audacious 1.3 (presently available in unstable?). XMMS does not perform
codec detection, but instead guesses on how to proceed. That behaviour
is broken in more than a few ways.

> Further, it has broken SIGTERM handling. Unless I am able to find such
> visible problems within minutes, this program is no replacement for the
> good old XMMS.

It handles SIGTERM gracefully. That's not broken. SIGTERM is not
supposed to immediately kill the app, it's supposed to allow the
app to shutdown gracefully, e.g. save the playlist, settings, et-cetera.

> I don't want to have it entirely deactivated, I want it to work then and
> only then when I need this information.

Hitting F5 on your keyboard will cause metadata to be loaded manually
if you have disabled automatic metadata loading.