Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Hi Joey,

It seems that unfortunately we managed to reach a misunderstanding rate
close to 100 % :(

Le Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 12:44:16PM -0400, Joey Hess a écrit :
> Charles Plessy wrote:
> > Having a .desktop file is a requrement in Ubuntu, so it is not
> > surprising that people submit patches in wishlist bugs : they are
> > encouraged to do so. Looking from the email adress of the bug senders
> > from xgalaga and kobodeluxe, they obiously come from there.
>
> Yes, but I'm talking about Debian, and what Debian should do.

I read from your mail that you were asking for the rationale of those
bug reports. Also it seems that you feel like it is users who want you
to do something. I thing it is not. It is just that enough persons have
said that it is nice to send a patch to the Debian package when there is
a modification in Ubuntu which is perceived as an improvement. You are
of course free to decide that it is unsuitable to your package.

I have been encouraging subscribers of the ubuntu-science mailing list
to send their .desktop files and icons to the Debian developpers (this
obviously does not include xgalaga and kobodeluxe). If this was a bad
idea, I welcome maintainers of scientific packages to contact me in
private and let me correct that mistake.

> > In the absence of any policy from the GNOME, KDE or XFCE teams, my
> > personal standpoint is that entries are welcome, so I do add .desktop
> > files. Acutally, I even create them when I prepare a new package which
> > lacks them. I also support the idea to chose a format from which .menu
> > and .desktop files would be generated. It is definitely not fun to
> > maintian two similar files in parallel.
>
> Generating both menu and .desktop files from a third format would be
> pointless. Either format can be generated from the other format. menu
> already generates .desktop files from menu files, and I don't believe it
> would be too hard to make menu _read_ .desktop files directly and use it
> as a source for the other files it generates.

I have never said that the original format should not be Debian Menu or
FreeDesktop. Indeed, I have already proposed this last year, and got
flamed for this.

I also have volunteered last year to give some time to a transition if
it would happen.

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org