Re: uninstallable despite satisfying dependencies

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:03:16PM -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> How do I debug this situation: ipe won't install, yet I have the
> dependencies that "apt-get install" complains about.

> Below, you will see that my attempt to install libipe1c2a claims to
> have three unmet dependencies.  However, as you see by "dpkg --list",
> I *do* have these three packages at a version that seemingly satisfies
> the dependencies.

> What gives?

> root@riemann{~}apt-get install libipe1c2a
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.

>   libipe1c2a: Depends: libfreetype6 (>= 2.2) but it is not going to be installed
>               Depends: libqt4-core (>= 4.2.3) but it is not going to be installed
>               Depends: libqt4-gui (>= 4.2.3) but it is not going to be installed
> E: Broken packages

Usually you can get a more sensible explanation out of apt-get by telling it
to install all the packgaes together:

# apt-get install libipe1c2a libfreetype6 libqt4-core libqt4-gui
[...]
  libipe1c2a: Conflicts: libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.2) but 2.3.5-1 is to be
installed
E: Broken packages
[...]

Cheers,