Re: Considerations for 'xmms' removal from Debian

Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> Hello,

Hi

>> The maintainers of the xmms package in Debian are proposing the removal
>> of the aforementioned package. Please read on.
>
> The rationale given does not seem to clarify why the proposal is
> for removal instead of the maintainers just orphaning the package?
>
> 	* There are a number of other GTK 1.2 packages.

These packages IMHO should all be fixed or removed.

> 	* There are no security bugs at this point (though the list
> 	  of bugs is large so I may have missed something).

Having to support gtk1.2 security wise while almost no packages use it anymore
is a real PITA.

> 	* While there are a number of alternatives there is
> 	  no upgrade path for either the users or those who
> 	  provide plugins.

That's upstream support that is lacking, we can do our best to provide
alternatives, though it's not really our job to do so...

> I do understand that an orphaned package of this kind (unmaintained
> upstream) puts a lot of burden on Debian QA. However, "xmms" appears
> to have a large user base and perhaps one of them will come forward
> to maintain the package if it is orphaned. If not, the package will
> be dropped eventually.

It probably doesn't put any burden on Debian QA as we will probably just
ignore it, till someone takes it over or we decide to ask for removal. The
reason is that the package has no real future and we have other priorities...

Cheers

Luk