Re: Considerations for 'xmms' removal from Debian

Josselin Mouette <joss <at> debian.org> writes:

> Whether you like it or not, audacious is a playlist-based audio player
> with support for many audio formats and funny plugins. This description
> sounds much like XMMS, which is why it can be considered a good
> replacement. As a user, I don't care about the architecture being
> different (apart from the bugs gone away).

The only thing I ask for is that you don't assert that Audacious is
a 100% identical "XMMS clone". Saying that Audacious is a suitable
replacement is fine, saying that we are an "XMMS clone" in any
official documentation will likely result in users harassing us.

Which we don't want. After all, would you if you were in our position?

Gentoo did this initially and we got hit with an onslaught of unhappy
migrants. My position is to make sure that does not happen again.

William