Re: Considerations for 'xmms' removal from Debian

> Most of this packages are xmms plugins. Maintainers will need to port
> them to xmms2 or bmpx, or they should be removed.
>
> Other packages just depend on xmms as a mere multimedia player, and
> therefore we recommend the maintainers to adjust their dependencies to
> bmpx, xmms2 or audacious.
>
> 2.2 Popcon
>
> xmms is now 1069 in the overall popcon rank, with 11029 installations,
> not counting the plugin users.

There are a number of plugins available from the rarewares repository[1] and
perhaps other third party repositories which provide the only convient way
I'm aware of to access a number of media formats (bonk, wavepack, lossless
audio, shorten, various DVD audio formats).  While I do not expect debian to
support these packages, I do ask that the wider ecosystem be taken into
consideration.

Thanks

[1] http://www.rarewares.org/index.php