Re: Considerations for 'xmms' removal from Debian

On Monday 02 July 2007 05:29:46 pm Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> imho xmms2 is not a real replacement for xmms, as this client-server
> model is too complicated for the normal user, and I find it pretty
> annoying. If I'd be in the need of any kind of server, I'd use a proper
> streaming server.
> The last time I've tried it bmpx was working well, but there were some
> plugins missing I used in xmms, don't remember which ones, though. But I
> still support the removal of xmms from Debian as it is pretty much
> broken and buggy, and gtk1 is pretty much outdated. People thinking
> about fixing xmms should better invest time in bmpx or audacious imho.

A number of "noob" users I set up on Debian long ago are still active XMMS
users. It would probably be less frustrating for them if the upgrade that
removes XMMS migrates their configuration to something that totally "just
works" and has a level of eye-candy high enough to remind them that they are
using the world's greatest operating system... even though they can't program
and don't fully comprehend the greatestness of Debian.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean@brainfood.com