Re: APT 0.7 for sid

On 10-Jun-07, 17:47 (CDT), Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:
> At the time I added Recommends support to aptitude (2001), dselect was
> still fairly widely used, and new aptitude users, while they didn't
> miss dselect's strong-arming them into installing recommends, did wish
> that aptitude would select them by default. Once I worked out how to
> handle this in a non-annoying way, I implemented pretty much what
> aptitude does now: Recommendations get selected on the first install
> but not afterwards.

Which, IMO, is ideal.

>   Since then, it seems like most users have switched to apt-get and
> synaptic, with hardly anyone using aptitude or dselect any more

Really? I'd have guessed that most people used aptitude. I can't imagine
anyone preferring synaptic to aptitude. Of course, I don't really
understand why anyone prefers [any graphical MUA] to mutt, or [any
graphical newsreader] to trn. I mean, GUIs are nice for things you don't
use every day, but for serious work, they're so damn slow and klutzy.

>   We should, IMO, have a single agreed-upon use of and semantics for
> Recommendations. If most developers think that Recommendations are
> meaningless, then maybe we should make them meaningless. But we should
> not have a situation where following Policy and tradition mean you get
> subjected to random sniping about your "wrong" behavior.

Agree 100%.

Regards,
Steve the hopelessly out-of-date

--