Re: Two proposals for a better Lenny (testing related).

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 04:40:54PM -0300, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> On 6/12/07, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
> >On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 10:29:59AM -0300, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> >> Considering that we know that experimental is not a full branch and
> >> there's no migration from experimental to unstable, do you agree then
> >> we could remove experimental and switch unstable automatic nature to
> >> not automatic (release) and keep it's current features: 'full' branch,
> >> migration from unstable to testing and others ?
> >
> >Eh, I don't think I understand what you're suggesting here. Perhaps a
> >few questions will help:
> >* What effect do you think removing experimental will have on unstable?
> >* How do you think it will have that effect?
> >
> >Personally, I think the net effect on _unstable_ achieved by removing
> >_experimental_ will be zero.
>
> I think it will have a positive effect if we add 'NotAutomatic: yes'
> into unstable release file.

Doing that would just annoy people, nothing more.

Those who only have 'unstable' lines in their sources.list will not see
any change. Those who have only 'testing' in their sources.list will not
see any change, either.

The only people who will see any difference from your proposed change
are people who have sources.list lines for multiple distributions in
their sources.list, and these are typically advanced users already
anyway, with perhaps a rather complex set of apt preferences. Given
that, I don't think you'd be able to achieve any postive effect by
changing the defaults of what happens if you add both unstable and
testing entries to sources.list.

Additionally, there's no need to drop experimental if you want to make
this type of change.

If you want to encourage more people to use testing, fine; that's not a
bad idea in itself. But by changing the defaults of what happens in
something that really is a corner case and by removing something else
that's totally unrelated, you don't do that. Rather, you annoy people
who know what the current defaults are, and who expect that these
defaults haven't been randomly changed while they weren't watching.

[...]
  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22