Re: APT 0.7 for sid

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 11:36:57AM +0100, Luis Matos wrote:

> i have 2 servers that i only login for apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
> -y, they are running sarge (yet) and only install security upgrades.
>
> These 2 server will not be put in danger by making the update && upgrade
> in an autonomous way.

IIRC a security update in sarge changed sudo's behaviour and that broke
many local scripts. We decided that the security threat addressed by the
update was basically zero and went back to the old version - finding &
fixing all the broken scripts was simply not worth the effort.

So an automatic security update _can_ break a working server.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences