Re: APT 0.7 for sid

Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> writes:
> #include <hallo.h>
> * Russ Allbery [Wed, Jun 06 2007, 08:40:47PM]:

>> No, that's not done by the dependency resolver.  That's done by the
>> code that removes packages that you never told it should be installed.

>> This problem goes away completely if you only use aptitude-aware tools
>> to install packages.  It's basically a transition issue.  (I do agree
>> that the transition could be improved.)

> <bitching>
> Why do you think that aptitude is perfect?

I don't think that any software is perfect.  I have, however, been using
aptitude exclusively for some time and I've found it to be a considerable
improvement over apt-get in every respect, including removal of unused
packages.

YMMV, of course.

> I can remember a not so nice evening few months ago when aptitude (on
> Ubuntu) tried to remove half of the distro when installing simple
> packages.  The reason was the forgotton source line for the previous
> release in sources.list - but still, it should cope with that and not
> wreak random havoc.

When things like this happen, I answer "no" to the prompt for whether I
want to continue and then try to figure out what's going on.  Unless
there's also a transition from apt-get involved, this sort of behavior is
generally accompanied, in my experience, by large negative scores and lots
of aptitude confusion that makes it obvious that something broke its
understanding of the dependency chains.