Re: Dependencies on shared libs, take 2

* Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> [070607 18:04]:
> > Reality is that this build must fail with a proper warning, so that the
> > maintainer can decide if this is an excption and ok or whether he should
> > cluebat upstream about a what soname means.
> >
> Reality is that libs export private symbols (not part of the API, and
> not used by anything), and a private symbol disappearing shouldn't force
> a SONAME change.

Having a private symbol before was already a bug that the Debian
mantainer should have caught. If it happens that such things (which
theoretically should detectable by some script) are not catched, then
changing the semantics of symbols is even more likely to be missed.
(And thus we have to expect quite some breakage from less strict
dependencies).

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link