Re: Dependencies on shared libs, take 2

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 09:15:02AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Now, if we have people store symbols in shlibs file, it means that
> dh_installdeb would install the shlibs file with symbols. That could be
> almost enough except that we really want a check that the information
> stored in those files matches the reality so we need to call
> dpkg-gensymbols either to update the file with real symbol information or
> at least to verify it and fail it it doesn't match.

Can you clarify what you mean by "update the file with real symbol
information"?  If the real lib doesn't match, how do you plan to achieve
this?  Specifically, how do you save the information generated at this stage
so that the details of which symbols were added in this particular build
aren't lost in the future?  (You can't save it in the source package at
this point without /also/ throwing a failure, because the source is already
built and you're in the middle of the binary target when this gets
checked...)