Re: Why not move Apt to a relational database

Justin Emmanuel wrote:
> I am brand new to this mailing list, I joined it because I had an idea
> that I would like to have considered. Moving apt to a relational
> database, for several reasons.

Before reading on, have you considered the following:

 - using an RDB requires a running RDBMS
 - running an RDBMS requires memory and cpu usage
 - in case of an upgrade RDBMSs often dump there databases and import
   them.  What will happen when the upgrade fails during this?  No
   package database would be really bad
 - copying parts of the database to another system, or patching it
   is not as easy as it is with plain files

Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect.