Re: BoF: Supporting 15,000 packages - How much support do we mean?

On Wed, 30 May 2007 16:49:27 +0200
Jonas Meurer <jonas@freesources.org> wrote:

> Publishing the date of last upload is a very useful information here,
> especially if you need to choose an application out of several unknown
> alternatives.

That information is already available at packages.qa.d.o and linked
from packages.d.o via the Developer Information link - maybe that link
just needs to be more prominent?

However, I fail to see why a stable application that was released two
years ago should not be favoured to a potentially unstable application that
was released yesterday. The raw information of the last upload needs to
be tempered by the number of open bugs and the popcon score.

Come to think of it, something more like the fun stats that combine
various indicators in a calculation of 'karma'.

> I would love to see the date of last upload published at
> packages.debian.org at least.
> A timestamp Field in every Package (which is automatically created at
> build process) would be even better.

Time is a poor indicator of quality, whether it is the length of time in the archive (with regular uploads) or the length of time since the last upload.

--

Neil Williams