Re: Web design [Was: Wanted: introductory page for all teams]

On Sun, 27 May 2007, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 11:35:26AM +0200, Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> wrote:
> > On Sun, 27 May 2007, Frans Pop wrote:
> >
> > >Yes, a complete redesign of the website is a herculean task, but
> > >contributing to specific pages or parts is trivial. OTOH, I expect that
> > >for a webdesign professional even a redesign would be quite manageable as
> > >AFAICT the technical structure of the website is not all that
> > >complicated.
> >
> > What about a web design contest.  Once we had a "not really appealing"
> > logo and solved this problem via a logo contest.  I remember other
> > projects that did a contest for a good web design.  Perhaps we might
> > solve a problem that no DD really wants to solve himself?

There are really two problems here; the first is the physical
appearance of the pages, and the second is the logical navigation
between the pages. Solving the first is something that almost any
qualified web designer can do; addressing the second is a task which
I've no idea where to even begin.

> Before being able to change the design, maybe the site should be in a
> state where the design *can* be changed...

There's no real need to wait for this; the major pages are in a
position where they can be altered, and a large number of them even
use CSS correctly thanks to the herculean efforts of Jutta Wrage and
other contributors.

What is really needed is for someone (or a group of people) who have a
design sense and are capable of putting function higher up the
priorities than most designers to do a mockup or a set of mockups with
actual HTML.

To date, most of the mockup attempts that I've seen have been static
images or have yet to actually handle the immense quanity of
information that is present on the website.

Finally, while pointing out problems with things that specific teams
do is appropriate, being more negative than necessary to point out the
problem or otherwise maligning the people who are actually doing the
work is hurtful to those who are actually spending the time and doing
the work.

Don Armstrong

--
There is no such thing as "social gambling." Either you are there to
cut the other bloke's heart out and eat it--or you're a sucker. If you