Re: Reasons for recommends and suggests

Am Samstag 19 Mai 2007 07:14 schrieb Manoj Srivastava:
>         If you do not wish to educate yourself on the details, perhaps
>  you should be  heeding the directions given to you by the maintainer?

Perhaps. But first, but not all packages are actually strict about that and I
do not want to bloat my installation and second, if it is really that
important (read: essential part of functionality) is would be a Depends.
Does it really happen that often that this Recommends is needed. Or is it just
to be on the safe side?
Anyway, it was just an example out of many. For non-core packages, Recommends
often add functionality that I'll never use but the package maintainer uses
them daily. Why should I install it then?

HS