Re: Reasons for recommends and suggests

On Sat, 19 May 2007 13:17:45 +0200, Hendrik Sattler <debian@hendrik-sattler.de> said:

> Am Samstag 19 Mai 2007 07:14 schrieb Manoj Srivastava:
>> If you do not wish to educate yourself on the details, perhaps you
>> should be heeding the directions given to you by the maintainer?

> Perhaps. But first, but not all packages are actually strict about
> that

        That would be a bug, then.  If you can identify such packages,
 could you please file bug reports?

> and I do not want to bloat my installation

        Well, for non-buggy packages, what you have is an issue of
 trusting the maintainers judgement.  In that case, you also have to
 trust that the maintainer comes up with a correct, and properly
 formulated explanation in under one line;  which correctly emphasizes
 the importance of the dependency relationship.

        Since you don't trust the maintainers judgement in the first
 place, I think the lack of space is likely to lead to a situation that
 you'll make an equal number of incrorrect decisions dues to lack of
 information, incorrectly interpreted information, and other
 misunderstanding.

        Now, adding such information to the README might not suffer from
 the space limitations, but the trust issues still remain.

> and second, if it is really that important (read: essential part of
> functionality) is would be a Depends.

        As the policy states; it is a strong, but not absolute
 dependency.  The core functionality might work.  But ease-of-use, and
 the optional frills that might make it truly useful might not -- ot the
 package may fail in some non-mainstream circumstances (which is the
 case with ucf).

> Does it really happen that often that this Recommends is needed. Or is
> it just to be on the safe side?

        Unless you are a $Deity, or have conducted an extensive
 analysis, this is a matter of judgement.  By putting things as
 recommends, the maintainer is saying, yes, it is a good thing to
 install these packages together.

        If you think the maintainers judgement is off, and have some
 proof, file a bug to reduce the depndency.

> Anyway, it was just an example out of many. For non-core packages,
> Recommends often add functionality that I'll never use but the package
> maintainer uses them daily. Why should I install it then?

        You don't have to.  But you are saying you do not trust the
 maintainers judgement, so asking in 80 characters or so why things are
 needed is not likely to help.  You'll be petter off just running
 aptitude --withouit-recommends, and adding things you feel, in your
 judgement, are truly needed.

        manoj
--
Usage: fortune -P [-f] -a [xsz] Q: file [rKe9] -v6[+] file1 ...