Re: Group maintainance howto and role of uploaders

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2007, Julien Cristau wrote:

>> I don't see how that would be easier than subscribing to the PTS for a
>> package you're co-maintaining.

> Well, the problem is missing documentation - at least I was not
> aware of this fact.  That's why my main intention was to initiate
> a Group maintenance Howto that covers such issues.  The other thing
> is that you might just forget to subscribe (which you will not
> in case you get two mails).

Hello,

well I think the explanation should simply go to extend
http://www.at.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-collaborative-maint

basically there are two ways: Either set Maintainer: to a dedicated
mailinglist usually on alioth (which is *not* closed for posting from
non-subscribers, otherwise bts will be blocked, too.) or otherwise set
Maintainer to the primary maintainer and Uploaders to to the other
ones. In the former case everyone subscribes to the mailinglist, if you
choose the latter way Uploaders need to subscribe via PTS.

Personally I would suggest going for the mailinglist. This way all
maintainers get the same information. - package@packages.debian.org
only reaches Maintainer: and is not distributed via PTS[1]. Also users
occasionally simply pull the maintainer email from "dpkg -s package"
and mail it directly.

cu andreas

[1] package@packages.qa.debian.org only reaches people subscribed
directly via PTS, i.e. usually not the maintainer.
so grateful to you.'