Re: Reasons for recommends and suggests

On Sat, 2007-05-19 at 00:16 -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2007 19:43:31 -0400, Felipe Sateler <fsateler@gmail.com> said:
> > Don Armstrong wrote:
> >> For example, in the case you're talking about, you'd have to explain
> >> that ucf would like to be able to use debconf-loadtemplate from
> >> debconf-utils utils when it's running as root just in case its
> >> templates have become corrupted. Now, you and I may know what
> >> debconf-loadtemplate does, what a template is, and why ucf would be
> >> worried about corruption of its template database, but I can't
> >> imagine making this intelligible to even an intermediate Debian user
> >> in less than 5 lines. Hell, I took 3 lines here to say something
> >> about it that I only understand because I read /usr/bin/ucf.
>
> > But then you could just say: "Useful in case template databases get
> > corrupted". There is no need to go and explain details. Just a general
> > idea is useful enough. If I were to read that, then I'd say: "Well, I
> > guess database corruption means something bad, and I want to recover
> > from that whenever possible. Lets install debconf-utils." I don't need
> > to know which specific script is being used, what templates are, why
> > there is a database of them, and how that database may get
> > corrupted. I just know that debconf-utils would be useful in case of
> > malfunction. Since malfunction costs more than bandwidth and disk
> > space, I'll install it.
>
>         Without going into arcane details, you have been told that, in
>  the maintainers opinion, you should be installing debconf-utils when
>  you install ucf, unless yours is an unusual installation, and you know
>  what you are doing.

Dear Felipe,

You are getting this advice strait from the proverbial "Horses Mouth",
as Manoj is the listed maintainer of the package "ucf", I'd have to
guess his advice is a golden opportunity to get free, the most expensive
advice you'll ever receive.

Just trust him, he truly isn't *evil*.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net