Re: Debian desktop -situation, proposals for discussion and change. Users point of view.

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 08:17:06AM +0200, Mgr. Peter Tuharsky wrote:
> Yes, it probably usually is just like that.
>
> I see it's just too hard for ordinary desktop user to resolve broken
> deps, even if it's really such easy as removing one single package. The
> "undo" should be achievable in simpler way.

Well the idea is that stable shouldn't ever hit broken dependancies,
which means a typical user won't see any.  Running testing or unstable
means you must have some basic understanding of the package system and
how things work.

> There are valid assertions that sometimes it's just not that easy, as
> programs sometimes do data conversions etc. Well, no easy answer. Maybe
> more pressure on upstream in order to allow downgrade.

But why waste time on it.  Better to spend to time making sure the new
version isn't broken so you wouldn't want to downgrade.  Downgrades will
not be well tested and hence likely to be even more trouble.

> I think many feel that it would be quite natural to have downgrade
> option. In many cases, shouldn't be hard either. In special cases, could
> be technically very difficult, sigh..

The people that feel downgrades are natural, are obviously not
programmers.

> Well, if You actually use the computer for daily work, it's not that
> easy to "put things on hold" ;-)

You put packages on hold so they don't try to upgrade.  Not your work.

Of couse I wouldn't run sid on my work machine.  Testing maybe, but
preferably stable.  My home machines run sid though.

--
Len Sorensen