Re: Debian desktop -situation, proposals for discussion and change. Users point of view.

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 08:20:50AM +0200, Mgr. Peter Tuharsky wrote:
> Steve,
>
> >And as others have pointed out, the purpose of stable is to minimize
> >disruptions. For many users, living with known bugs with known workarounds
> >is a *lot* better than identifying new bugs.
>
> Yeas. Let the choice to the user. Don't dictate him.

Well, I really cannot see your point. If you do not like how stable is done
at the moment in Debian, but do like how it is done in whatever other
distro - use that distro. Nobody forces anything on you. This is all about
choice.

> Whoever wants to
> use the old software w/o change, let be it. Whoever wants the new one,
> noticed about the risks, let's give him an official and supported way to
> do it.

Fist of all, there is such a way: use testing, most of the time it is fairly
safe to use. Learn how to put packages on hold and how to get back if something
goes wrong.

[ skipped ]

> Let the users choose, whether they want to upgrade.

=) OMG, I do not think that somebody really forces me when to run
apt-get upgrade and what packages to install and from what repository.

> Repeat, let there be easy downgrade option for the case things don't
> work as expected.

man sources.list
man apt_preferences
http://snapshot.debian.net/

If you maintain more than one machine - setup a local repository and fill it
with the versions of the packages you like. Including backported ones, learn
how to backport.

--
Stanislav