Re: Building packages twice in a row

On 16/05/07 at 10:11 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Isn't "twice building" too coarse grained to spot actual violation of
> this rule?  I mean, packages that fail to build the second time have for
> sure garbage left around after the former invocation of "clean". But it
> is not granted that packages with garbage left around will fail to
> build.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to unpack a package twice in two different
> directories, build and clean in one dir and then compare the obtained
> tree with the tree available in the other dir?

As already mentioned by others, you are going to get a lot of false
positives.

An alternative could be to keep the files created by the first build
(*.{deb,diff.gz,orig.tar.gz,dsc,changes}) and compare them with those
from the second build, using debdiff. This would allow to spot the most
obvious problems (e.g missing/added files).