Re: svn-buildpackage etc., mergeWithUpstream, and dpatch/quilt/cdbs again

Magnus Holmgren <holmgren@lysator.liu.se> wrote:

> Now, how do you combine these? Several people have thought: "The VCS
> can handle the changesets. Putting patches under VCS is silly!" Maybe it is.

I don't agree.  With patches in debian/patches, you can give names to
those files.  Names that explain what they do, and in debian/changelog
you'll use those names when closing bugs or documenting other changes.
That makes it much easier to remember why a change was made, and to
reuse the changes elsewhere (hand them over to upstream, Ubuntu, SuSE or
you mom, or just decide whether it's still needed in the development
branch).

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster