Re: svn-buildpackage etc., mergeWithUpstream, and dpatch/quilt/cdbs again

Hi

On Wed, 16 May 2007 13:52:28 +0200
Magnus Holmgren <holmgren@lysator.liu.se> wrote:

> Now, how do you combine these? Several people have thought: "The VCS
> can handle the changesets. Putting patches under VCS is silly!" Maybe it is.
> What's for certain is, that to someone who just does 'apt-get source', the VCS
> gives no benefit. However, he can read debian/copyright and
> debian/README.Debian to find out where the maintainer keeps his repository,
> and reap all the benefits (I can see how a distributed system could benefit
> downstream maintainers in particular).

XS-Vcs headers are for this. You can then see VCS location also in PTS,
e.g. <http://packages.qa.debian.org/sonata>.

> My question here is: *Whom* is debian/patches *for*? The maintainer or anyone
> who wants to build a customised package, audit the package, etc?
>
> svn-buildpackage has a feature called "mergeWithUpstream mode", which means
> that only the files that are actually touched are put under version control

I really like this feature. I have only debian directory in svn and
possible patches are in debian/patches. The .diff.gz is then a bit
harder to read, but after applying it is easier to get overview of
package.