Re: Building packages twice in a row

On Wed, 16 May 2007 10:52:02 +0200 (CEST)
Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 May 2007, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>
> > I mean, packages that fail to build the second time have for
> > sure garbage left around after the former invocation of "clean".
>
> Not always. In some cases (for example, two of my packages) the error
> was to modify a .po file "in place" to update it.

I'm not sure what you mean - is this autotools where you simply symlink po/Makefile.in.in ? What modification are you making? Native or upstream package?

> The second time
> you build the package, dpkg-source complains about the .mo files,
> as they are binary files and they have been modified.

But .mo files don't need to be in the upstream source - they can be
cleaned and regenerated with make -C po.

> How do people deal with this, BTW? Maybe by configuring the package in
> another directory and using the VPATH feature of make?

I haven't come across this kind of error in any package (as well as my
own, I'm currently cross-building Debian packages for Emdebian).

--

Neil Williams