Re: Building packages twice in a row

Hi,

On Wed May 16, 2007 at 10:11:55 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 08:10:44AM +0200, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> > as a QA effort the whole archive was rebuilt yesterday to catch
> > build-failures, whether a package can be build twice in a row (unpack,
> > build, clean, build). We found about 400 packages not having a sane
> > clean target.
>
> Wow, thanks for the effort!
>
> > To cite
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-debianrules
> >
> > clean
> >
> >     This must undo any effects that the build and binary targets may
> > have had, except that it should leave alone any output files created
> > in the parent directory by a run of a binary target.
>
> Isn't "twice building" too coarse grained to spot actual violation of
> this rule?  I mean, packages that fail to build the second time have for
> sure garbage left around after the former invocation of "clean". But it
> is not granted that packages with garbage left around will fail to
> build.

ack.

> Wouldn't it be better to unpack a package twice in two different
> directories, build and clean in one dir and then compare the obtained
> tree with the tree available in the other dir?

That would surely be the better solution to catch this policy violation.
But the way we did it now was the fastest and easiest solution for now,
and showed already how many packages have no correct working clean
targets.

We will need to patch sbuild for the changes you suggested. Feel free to
send patches for that.

> I know, that's cheap talk while you actually provided facts :-), just
> take this as a curiosity of mine / suggestion for future tests.

If you provide a patch for sbuild, Lucas will surely hand you the
build-logs for all packages. Happy bug filing then.

> Many thanks again for this!
nP. QA is work everyone of the project can do.

Greetings
Martin

--
[root@debian /root]# man real-life