Re: LSB init scripts

On Thu, 03 May 2007 18:13:25 -0700
Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

> Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.iki.fi> writes:
> > On to, 2007-05-03 at 13:39 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> >> My ideal output format would just list "subsystem OK"
>
> > While we're daydreaming, I'd like an empty screen with a timer counting
> > down how long (in seconds) I have until I can actually use the machine.
> > Unless there's a problem, of course, in which case I want all the info I
> > need to debug things.
>
> One of the great parts of using a library to handle the output formatting
> is that people who want this sort of boot presentation (or anything else,
> really) can then develop themes that do exactly what they want.

Splashy is indeed already using that functionality. It installs a file
/etc/lsb-base-logging.sh, which is their to override functions from the
LSB library. It increments a progress bar triggered by calls to
log_end_msg made from init-scripts. That way we don't need change the
initscripts or install extra scripts, we get out info from all scripts
that use the LSB library.

grts Tim