Re: Mandatory -dbg packages for libraries? (and API docs too)

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 02:37:46PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> write documentation or don't understand the API.  Wrong API docs are surely
> worse than not having no docs, aren't they?
<snip>

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 02:48:23PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> In my case, because of:
>     binary-without-manpage (1283 packages, 3616 tags)
> I think we should demonstrate our ability to deliver on tasks we've
> already promised to do before promising to do even more in the same vein.

That's all true, but it fails to convince me that is better not to state
this in the policy than to state it (only Steve's point about "wrong API
docs", but I'm convinced it will be quantitatively small). My approach
to this is first to decide whether API docs in the policy is something
we want in debian or not. Then, if it is the case, to state it in the
policy. Then see how this will be received by DDs and maybe start filing
bug with patches for fixing the issues.  I don't like thinking "naaaah,
it won't work, so please don't try to enforce it".

Cheers.