Re: should an init-script print output, if verbose is set to no in /etc/default/rcS or by /lib/init/vars.sh?

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 11:23:28PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 03:17:43 -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >Further, why should individual init scripts that are already going to all
> >the effort of using the LSB interfaces be expected to handle VERBOSE
> >individually?  Why isn't this part of the log_* implementation?

> The LSB init script stuff is a red herring anyway since the Interface
> is badly designed and utterly incomplete. Init scripts are therefore
> forced to abuse the provided functions if something "special" is
> needed.

I agree that it's badly designed, but when so many packages are using the
Debian LSB init script functions *anyway*, why should each of these packages
be expected to individually implement a 'quiet' mode when this is clearly
something that the log_* functions should do already?