Re: spam from bugs.debian.org

Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:

>> > How does everyone deal with this (I mean other than filtering)?
>>
>> If anyone is doing a substantially better job of filtering than the
>> bts is, let owner@bugs.debian.org know; but in general you should just
>> see the few spammers who end up being successful.

I have been dealing with gcc's bugzilla, KDE's bugs.kde.org, mozilla's bug
tracking system etc., I never ever received any spam messages from these
bug tracking systems. The spam emails seem to come only from BTS. May be we
can learn from them as to what they are doing (mandatory registration?)
better.

> Same for lists.debian.org. Just to give an impression from yesterdays
> statistics:
>
>   94108   delivery attempts (incoming)
>   51598   messages received (in total)
>           rest blocked by whatever RBL
>   10426         messages feed to spam search software
>           rest already cought by static filtering
>    1523   messages tagged as "no spam"
> =======================================
>    ~1% of delivery attempts (incoming) is still send out to the lists
>
> If we now say, that out of these 1523 mails, ~150 mails are still spam,
> this makes a 0.1% rate of spam that is still deleivired to the lists.

I am not saying the lists are not filtering spam emails. Of course they do
and they do an excellent job at that. But as an end user, all I see is 1523
emails, 150 of them are spam ==> 10% spam emails from debian.org lists. May
be a policy change is required here as well. I dont know what would be the
correct way, but this method sure does seem inefficient and waste of
resources.

hth
raju

--