Re: Mandatory -dbg packages for libraries?

Loïc Minier <lool+debian@via.ecp.fr> writes:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:

>> Apport sends complete core dumps, which is a very bad idea. The dumps
>> can be huge (for desktop applications they often grow beyond 200MB) and
>> they can contain gazillions of sensitive information.

>  But Apport is written already, and it's also the path that Windows
>  crash report and Mozilla's talkback tools have taken; these
>  corporations might not represent our ideals, but they present examples
>  of deployed and working solutions.

>  I don't think it's still 200 MB compressed, but some input from Ubuntu
>  folks could help.

I believe sending full core dumps is an acceptable solution if and only
if:

 * The user is notified and voluntarily opts in to sending dumps.
 * The core dumps are sent encrypted over the network.
 * The core dumps are stored securely wherever they're sent and only
   authorized people have access to them.
 * Every organization that has access to the core dumps is legally bound
   to not disclose any personal or confidential information in them to
   anyone.

I think the last two are pretty hard for Debian to do.