Re: Mandatory -dbg packages for libraries?

Le dimanche 22 avril 2007 à 20:39 +0100, Neil Williams a écrit :
> I'd like to see all library source packages having a minimum of 4
> binary packages required by Policy: the SONAME, the -dev,  the -dbg and
> a -doc package. (Libraries for perl or other non-compiled languages
> would be exempt from -dbg packages but not -doc.)

I fully concur, and I think we need to go farther, by adding a debugging
package to *all* architecture-dependent packages. Of course, this
requires changes at the dak level, in the mirror scripts (not all
mirrors will want their size to double) and in APT. This was in Sam's
platform and I hope to see some efforts happen in this direction.

With the introduction of debreaper, I'd like to make automated bug
reporting a reality for the majority of unstable users, but it will be
useless if there is no solution to install the debugging symbols
automatically. Currently I plan to automate installation of the -dbg
packages when they are available, but this is grossly suboptimal and
there is no real reason to not generate them for more packages.

--
 .''`.