Re: Xorg 7.2

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 08:31:04AM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> Just a quick heads-up for those who don't read planet and have been
> wondering why Xorg 7.2 is lingering in experimental: There's an excellent
> announcement on David Nusinov's blog at
> <http://gravityboy.livejournal.com/34738.html>.  I wish such stuff would be
> posted to the mailing lists and not just to blogs.

Sorry I didn't post it to a mailing list. The stuff I blog isn't really
approprite for -devel-announce, and I really want to make sure that our
users know what's going on, so planet seems like the natural place. This is
the second request though, so I'll try and send updates to -devel as well.

Also of major note, Julien clarified my post a bit in the comments. Most of
7.2 is actually in unstable, including the drivers (in addition, we have
pre-release drivers for intel in experimental). The missing thing though is
the server (which is, of course, the centerpiece of the release), which
will go in with the coming version 1.3 release, with or without XCB. We
need to push XCB forward though, and how to deal with the java bug
mentioned in that post isn't clear yet.

> To David and the other XSF people: keep on as you have the last years!  X
> just is a non-issue, and that's just what I expect from it - it just works.
> (proprietary nvidia hardware excluded, but then that's my fault for having
> such hardware ...)

Thank you, and I promise you we'll improve it. There's a few big changes on
the way (randr 1.2) and a few small ones too. As for nvidia, we've got two
volunteers to help maintain nouveau for us[0] so even that problem will
lessen in the future.

 - David Nusinow

[0] This is the sort of reason why Debian rocks, btw.