Re: Second call for votes for the debian project leader election 2007

Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> writes:
> With Gnus+Mailcrypt, I was unable to vote with a signed but not
> encrypted ballot.  The voting daemon claimed that there was some
> kind of quoted-printable problem.  This surprised me: Gnus and
> Mailcrypt have not caused problems for me with any previous
> votes.  However, this is the only ballot I recall containing
> non-ASCII characters, which could be the cause.

As I used to have all my outgoing emails default to ISO 8859-1 charset
I was unable to vote with Gnus+Mailcrypt until I changed the default
to be ASCII. So, as I now had that same problem again, I'm guessing
the problem is with Raphaël's non-ASCII e+umlaut, which makes Gnus use
quoted-printable, which then isn't valid as seen by devotee (I'm
guessing that Gnus encodes the signed mail and devotee wants to
verify before decoding).

> So then I sent in a signed and encrypted ballot.  This caused the
> whole ballot to be base64-encoded.  Presumably this sidestepped
> the quoted-printable problem, because it was accepted.

Thanks for the tip, need to use this. Didn't think of it myself.

--
* Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology (T.P)  *
*           PGP public key available @ http://www.iki.fi/killer           *