Re: fakechroot - anyone using it, should I consider hijacking it?

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 15:51 -0400, Mark Eichin wrote:
> So:
>   * does anyone else find fakechroot useful and would benefit from the
>     heavily-repaired version?

I use fakechroot daily to build an installer cd distro based on debian
(of course) and I honestly couldn't live without fakeroot/fakechroot.
I start the faked-sysv daemon at script startup to keep the script
readable like so:

 foutput=`faked-sysv --save-file fakechroot.save`
 export FAKEROOTKEY=${foutput:*}
 export export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libfakeroot/libfakeroot-sysv.so

Then I do a bunch of filesystem and fakechroot calls in a loop, then
kill at the end:

 kill ${foutput#*:}

It works perfectly at the moment so I'm not sure that I'd benefit from a
heavily repaired version, however this may change when I get to do more
with the script in the future - I really should look at the bugs I
guess. It's especially useful to me as I keep the distro in CVS and
every file has user permissions. Using root gives me headaches and makes
local backups to remote servers a real pain.

I'm glad there's someone around that won't let fakechroot die!! It's
really useful.

Cheers
Mark.