Re: co-mentor for a GSoC proposal wanted: debbugs web submission

Holger Levsen <debian@layer-acht.org> writes:
> On Friday 16 March 2007 00:49, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> A large fraction of bug reports are bad or incomplete, so you need to
>> ensure that you can contact bug submitters for more information.
>>
>> HTTP doesn't give you a callback mechanism, so you need to be able to tie
>> the web submission back to an email address.
> That's easily solvable, isn't it: make the bug-submitter submit an email
> address too, send a email to that person saying "someone, probably you has
> submitted a bug... reply or visit $URL to commit the bug to the BTS".

Hmmm, if we do that, we could probably start handing out accounts for
this web-based bug submission system, so that people who report more
than one bug only need to answer once to such a mail. Hmmm, that sounds
like we're rebuilding bugzilla again...

Anyway, I think that a proper account system wouldn't be too bad, and it
could probably be tied together with usertags to implement features like
"watched bugs" [1] and stuff like that. debbugs is a nice tool, but most
people only use it seldomly and never find out about all the features
that are already implemented. A better web-based interface could help
those people, and leave the mail interface alone (which I, and many
others who use debbugs a lot prefer).

Marc

Footnotes:
[1]  Which could be simply a pre-defined view on the usertags set by the
     email address associated with that account
--
BOFH #242:
Software uses US measurements, but the OS is in metric...