Re: co-mentor for a GSoC proposal wanted: debbugs web submission

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 09:48:53AM +1100, Jan Michael C. Alonzo wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:

> > I (continue to) object to the notion of web-based submission of bugs to
> > Debian.  Do you really think that someone who can't maneuver reportbug is
> > capable of submitting a useful bug report?

> I don't think this is about abilities. Do you think anyone who can't drive a
> car is an idiot?

I think most people are idiots, including most who can drive cars.  But I'm
not sure that's relevant.

A large fraction of bug reports are bad or incomplete, so you need to ensure
that you can contact bug submitters for more information.

HTTP doesn't give you a callback mechanism, so you need to be able to tie
the web submission back to an email address.

You want to avoid joe-jobbing, so you require registration in advance of
allowing bug submissions.

Now you've reimplemented bugzilla, congratulations; and it's still inferior
to reportbug because the website can't automatically gather information
about the package status on your system when you submit a bug.