Re: debhelper and debconf: package and protocol versions

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 02:13:18PM +0100, Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> dh_installdebconf adds a fixed dependency on debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0 to
> ${misc:Depends} if debconf is actually needed. But judging from the changelog
> of debconf version 1.2.0 is needed if there are any template translations,
> and I think dh_installdebconf should be so smart. Not that it matters now,
> over four years later, but it makes me wonder: Are there any other versions
> where new functionality was added, prompting a versioned dependency on a
> newer version? I've found debconf-escape from 1.4.72.

Yes, the debconf 'error' template type was added in a version later than
what shipped in sarge.  But then, to use this feature you can't depend on '|
debconf-2.0' either, you have to know exactly which version of cdebconf
implemented the same template type and depend on the 'or' of these two
packages specifically.  So at that point, I'm not sure the behavior of
dh_installdebconf vis à vis ${misc:Depends} is relevant.