Compiling Debs on AMD vs. Intel and 32bit vs. 64bit

Hi gurus,

I'm looking to buy or build an install host -- one machine dedicated to building and serving a local repository for the purposes of installing/upgrading/maintaining other Debian hosts throughout our organization. The problem is, I'm a little clueless when it comes to hardware, and I want to make sure that I'm not about to shoot myself in the foot. Some of the packages in my local repository require compiling. Do I need to worry about AMD vs. Intel and/or 32-bit vs. 64-bit when building my install host? (A machine that generates *.deb files that are only good on *that* one machine is useless to me.)

How do you guys deal with this in your organizations?

Thanks for your input,

Michael Peek