Re: Compiling Debs on AMD vs. Intel and 32bit vs. 64bit

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 11:03 -0400, Michael S. Peek wrote:
> Hi gurus,
>
> I'm looking to buy or build an install host -- one machine dedicated to
> building and serving a local repository for the purposes of
> installing/upgrading/maintaining other Debian hosts throughout our
> organization.  The problem is, I'm a little clueless when it comes to
> hardware, and I want to make sure that I'm not about to shoot myself in
> the foot.  Some of the packages in my local repository require
> compiling.  Do I need to worry about AMD vs. Intel and/or 32-bit vs.
> 64-bit when building my install host?  (A machine that generates *.deb
> files that are only good on *that* one machine is useless to me.)
>
> How do you guys deal with this in your organizations?
>
> Thanks for your input,

I am not a DD, but my approach would be to buy 64bit AMD or Intel
hardware (amd64_x86(sic?) covers both architectures). I would then make
a 64-bit build environment in a chroot, then a 32-bit build environment
in a chroot. After that it is a SMOP (not not really but, I digress) to
get the buildd in each environment to do its job.

Of course, you could also setup XEN or Vserver environments.

And for clarity, IA32 cover 32-bit Intel and works for AMD 32-bit
processors. IA64 is the Itanium series of processors, amd64 cover the
AMD K8/Opteron processors AND the Intel emt64* Intel processors. Intel
lost out on that nomenclature.

I am sure others will either correct me or elaborate or both.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup