Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 09:12:52AM -0500, Matthias Julius wrote:
> Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> writes:
>
> > message to its intended target is a hard thing. How about having 'text
> > ads' on the pages of the Debian site that showcase a 'request for help'
> > or similar?
>
> I don't like ads.  Ads are annoying.  That doesn't mean they don't
> work.  If I need some information I usually know where to look for it
> (for information that is conveyed in an ad anyway).
>
> An innocent potential helper will probably start at www.d.o and find
> the "Help Debian" link.  Following that whould lead to all information
> needed.  The next thing one might try is the "Developers Corner"
>
> If help requests are not accessible through those channels chances are
> slim that they will be noticed by the target audience. IMHO

  It will likely be one of my last post on that matter because I feel
that valuable contributors left it long ago.

  You're (not you Matthias, You the other people with those ideas) take
the problem from the wrong side. The question is not about _how_ to
attract people, but how did people that are now valuable contributors
were attracted to what they do right now. When you'll know that we will
be able to improve those things so that it gets even more attractive
than now.

  I think I was a quite decent contributor for the kde group. I worked
with those people because the project was on alioth, that the team was
nice and open, and that there was an active IRC channel to talk with
people on. I never went on debian.org that is the last idea I would have
had to find an information, given how badly the site is designed and
organized.

  I never knew about debian.org/..../help page before today. And I've
never read RFH's for that, as again IMHO it's like some alarm thing, not
meant as a permanent thing. Now everyone's experience is different. But
ask that to good contributors, and you'll know what is important. Just
know that none of the suggestions made so far would have helped me more
when I was searching who/what to help, it would even have bored me.

  shouting for help everywhere is like noise: it's absurdly painful, and
will itch people way too much.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit