Re: edit patches in dpkg configuration file dialog

Hi,
* Nico Golde <nico@ngolde.de> [2007-03-03 09:34]:
> what about the following idea.
> If a configuration file is marked as conffile in a package
> you have the possibility to select between:
[...]
> What about the possibility to view the patch, edit it with
> your favorite editor and the just apply the patch?
> This way you don't have to do all the manual stuff after
> installing the packages and you don't miss new configuration
> flags.
>
> Are there already people who started to do something
> similar? Do you think this is useful?
[...]
After a bit of testing this method I realized that its not
really a good idea since you can't always produce a proper
patch which can apply after editing it.
So I came to the conclusion that it's maybe better to give
dpkg a configuration value to specify an external merge
program which can be launched by pressing 'm' in the
configuration dialog.

I introduced a variable called 'merge-tool' for this
(merge-tool /usr/bin/vimdiff) for example and submitted it
as wishlist bug to wnpp.

If someone wants to test it you can
find the patch on:
http://nion.modprobe.de/dpkg_allowmerge.patch