Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

wrote:

> > > Who said that?

> > > How about these words:
> > >         And how do you help a maintainer that does not admit that he
> > >         needs help?
> > >
> > > Are they yours, or not? If not, you should consider signing your
> > > emails, as someone is trying to fake you on mailing lists.
> >
> > flaw in your logic:
> >
> > the quoted part does not say maintainers have enough manpower,
> > it only says that they haven't expressed the need for more manpower,or
> > at least not in a forum followed by the potential helper.
>
>   No it says that they refuse to acknowledge they need help, which they
> did many times. Maybe my english is flawed, but "to not admit sth"
> implicates active denial in my understanding.

From gcide:

Admit \Ad*mit"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Admitted; p. pr. & vb. n.
   Admitting.] [OE. amitten, L. admittere, admissum; ad +
   mittere to send: cf. F. admettre, OF. admettre, OF. ametre.
   See Missile.]

   4. To concede as true; to acknowledge or assent to, as an
      allegation which it is impossible to deny; to own or
      confess; as, the argument or fact is admitted; he admitted
      his guilt.
      [1913 Webster]

or in other words an admission is an explissive confirmation of a fact. Not
giving explissive confirmation (that he knows of) does not imply denial.

(it helps if you think of the word in a non-courtroom setting;
 e.g. a reporter asks if it's true that X, if you reply 'no comment' you've
 not admitted X is true, but neither have you said X is false)

> As a member of such teams, and co-issuer of help requests statements on
> user lists (debian-kde@) I did felt quite itched by Eduard statement.

I can see how if you read it that way...

being an optimist, I choose to always interpret statements in the
non-offensive interpretation even when that interpretation is non-obvious.
That way I both don't feel offended, and I avoid unnecessary bad feelings
when no offense was intended.
On the other hand I find that when offense was intended, taking the positive
interpretation, really annoys those trying to offend (and doing so without
me having to descend to flaming back :)
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)