Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Eduard Bloch wrote:

> #include <hallo.h>
> * Don Armstrong [Mon, Feb 26 2007, 01:55:42PM]:
> > I'm open to suggestions of real solutions to this problem,
> > (indeed, I continue to suggest that interested people jump in and
> > help out) but technical hurdles for maintainers to overcome and
> > waste their limited time in trivialities are pointless, and not
> > something I'm willing to support.
>
> And how do you help a maintainer that does not admit that he needs
> help?

You put them on Jerry Springer and arrange an intervention?

> I would support a semi-automated solution: BTS tracks an "eta2fix"
> value which maintainer can set telling the planed schedule for
> fixing this bug in the near future.

This solution is already trivially implementable using usertags. If
people begin to tag their packages using things like "eta2fix-rsn"
"eta2fix-weeks" "eta2fix-months" "eta2fix-snowinhell" then I'll
consider adding a feature to the BTS to output the time remaining to
the ETA. [Indeed, this is my (personal) metric[1] for adding all new
tags and tag-like features; show me you'd use it using user tags, and
I'll implement it.]

> And please don't tell me this is a technical curdle since this would
> be crap.

Yes, it's a technical curdle of crap. I'm going to use it to make
fecal cheese.

Don Armstrong

1: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=237140;msg=12
--
Of course, there are cases where only a rare individual will have the
vision to perceive a system which governs many people's lives; a