Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 10:45:24AM +0100, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> [070226 03:03]:
> >   So now let's do a simple calculation. 100 bugs, 20 minutes, that's
> > 2000 minutes, over 6 weeks, that's 333 minutes a week, meaning at least
> > 6 hours a half of work. Just to keep up with bugs. Of completely tedious
> > work.
> >
> >   Add to that: working on the backlog, working on the bugs that in fact
> > need 1hour of work, packaging new upstreams, doing some maintenance on
> > the repository and so on, and KABOOOM, either you have a time machine,
> > or there is not enough time.
> >
> >   so well, hmm let me think again ... YES THIS IS A DAMN PERFECT
> > ARGUMENT.
>
> Sorry to say it that way. But after I read this, not letting such
> packages in a stable release before they get enough manpower to be
> handled, sound a better idea then before.

  Stripping KDE, php, xorg, gnome, iceweasel, the libc out of stable
would indeed make releases a lot less painful. Any other brilliant idea
around ?

  Also consider that in the huge mass of bugs, for any of the mentioned
packages, I'd say 25 to 50% of the bugs are just either invalid or long
gone. Those teams do an amazing job dealing with the most urgent bugs,
_AND_ keeping up with upstream. Because such packages aren't supported
very long, because upstreams have the same man power issues, and they
only support _some_ releases, if we do not keep up, then it means
putting an unbearable pressure over the already quite loaded security
team.

  Could we go back to sanity and reality, please ?
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit