Re: /foo has been mounted xx times... check forced

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 11:14:21PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 20 février 2007 à 20:55 +0100, Mike Hommey a écrit :
> > > Does XFS require fscks? Reiserfs does not. Maybe it is time to ditch
> > > ext3.
> >
> > ReiserFS requires as much fsck as ext3.
>
> But it is much faster.

In the worst case, when the filesystem is badly corrupted, ReiserFS
will require reading every single data block off the disk, at which
point it will look for every single block that *looks* like it might
be part of an Reiserfs b-tree, and stich it together.  The results if
you have multiple Reiserfs filesystem images (for use by qemu, UML,
Xen, VMware, etc.) in a resierfs filesystem, and the filesystem is
badly corrupted, I will leave to you to imagine.  (But a scene from
from your favorite frankenstien movie might not be a bad place to
start. :-)

Also, reading every single data block from disk will almost certainly
take longer than an ext3 filesystem check, which is one of the
advantages of having a fixed inode table; ext3 knows where to start.

						- Ted