Re: /foo has been mounted xx times... check forced

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 10:55:49AM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> Right.  But would it actually be officially safe to interrupt with ^C ?
> That would give the user an opportunity to decide how in a hurry they
> are, and quickly get out of a difficult situation.
>
> If the answer is yes, ^C is officially safe, then I propose to add "if
> in a hurry, interrupt with ^C " to the "check forced" message.

It's not a great idea to do this indefinitely, and it's a matter of
whether or not you trust the person in front of the machine not to be
in a hurry and to always type ^C all the time to avoid the e2fsck run.
If the owner/administrator of the machine == the person who is
normally in front of the console during the bootup (as is the case in
a laptop and most single-owner machines), the obviously it should be
up to the owner/admninistrator.

At the moment, if you want ^C to interrupt the e2fsck and you want the
boot to continue, you actually have to set the following in
/etc/e2fsck.conf:

[options]
	allow_cancellation = 1

See the e2fsck.conf(8) man page for more details.

Regards,

						- Ted